In part 1 you read about my journey through beautiful Munnar
and Thekkedy. So, moving forward to my
next destination which was known as the “Venetian Capital” of Kerala or the
“Venice of the East”.
Alappuzha (or Alleppey)
Alleppey is best known for houseboat cruises along the rural
Kerala backwaters, a network of soothing canals and lagoons. I rented a
houseboat for a day. During day time it was so hot to sit on the deck of the
boat; so I kept that plan for the evening which was then ruined by mosquitos.
Still, I am glad I opted for an AC houseboat in which I could easily enjoy the
serene backwaters without getting irritated from rising temperature and
humidity.
Alleppey is a small village where people are settling beside the
backwaters and all their commuting is done through water only. Instead of
staying there for the whole day one can easily be there for 4-5 hours. As that
much time is sufficient to appreciate the nature and its beauty around you.
Kovalam & Poovar
The next day I went to Poovar and I have to say that it is
the most unexplored regions of Kerala. Well, I took a steamboat which first
showed me around the backwaters which is the home of a lot of animal and birds
spices and if you are lucky enough then you can even spot some not so common
birds as well.
These backwaters open out in Arabian Sea, where in the middle we
have Golden Sand beach. The water was so clear there that you can even see the
small fishes around your feet. In my views Poovar was truly a paradise.
Kochi
From Poovar I came back to Kochi and as I had a flight in
the evening I took whole afternoon to roam around Kochi. I wandered around Kochi where there were
narrow roads lined with trees and old houses with flowers on every porch. I
visited Fort Kochi which is believed to be extremely beautiful during sunset
but as I didn’t had that much time I had to go around during day only. It was a
good place where you can even try your hand at fishing using chines fishing
techniques. Also, Kochi is famous for different spices as well. So you can
easily buy some good quality of spices at a very reasonable price there. Near Kochi, there were some handloom factories as well, where you can see the process of how a saree is made from thread manually and you can even buy some sarees from there as well. Kerala is famous for silk but cotton silk and cotton sarees are also very popular there.
Once in a lifetime you have to visit Kerala. And you won’t
regret it for sure.
If you haven't read the Part 1 yet. You can read the Part 1 here: http://www.thatshesaid.com/2017/04/wandering-tales-kerala-treat-to-eyes.html
If you haven't read the Part 1 yet. You can read the Part 1 here: http://www.thatshesaid.com/2017/04/wandering-tales-kerala-treat-to-eyes.html



Comments
Post a Comment