Kerala, a state known for its highest literacy rate is not
the only reason it is known for!!. It is a state on the Malabar Coast in
southern India which is dubbed as ‘God’s Own Country’. And I won’t deny the
fact that it is the greenest and the cleanest state of India I have ever
visited. Kerala has everything for
everyone, from serene beaches to scenic hills, from beautiful tea gardens to
spice plantations and from dense forests to calm backwaters. And if that’s not
all, it has a very rich cultural heritage which includes classical dances such
as Kathakali & Mohiniattam, Kalaripayattu, etc. And last but not the least,
it is popular for Ayurvedic treatments and massages such as Shirodhara, Potli
Massage, etc. So, I had my trip planned for 10 days covering the major location
of the state.
And following is the map with the sequences in which I
planned to cover the destination. As this post would have been very long so I
decided to break it into two. So, in Part 1 I will be talking about Munnar and
Thekkedy and in Part 2 it will be all about
Alappuzha (or Alleppey), Kolvalm, Poovar and Kochi.
Alright, starting with part one. I took a flight from Delhi
to Kochi and from Kochi Airport instead of spending my day in Kochi I straight
away headed to Munnar. On my way to
Munnar I had a halt at spice plantation where apart from taking the spice
garden tour I took an elephant ride as well. And that whole elephant ride was
awesome. With all that climbing up and down the hill while you are seated on
the elephant is a thrilling and fun experience.
After 5 long hours of journey I reached Munnar. And the
resort where I was staying was 5-6 km away from the main Munnar city. Munnar is
a very popular hill-station in the foothills of the Western Ghats, a place full
of scenic beauty and largest tea growing region of the south. I was lucky
enough that on my way to Munnar heavy rain started and all those hard rock
mountains turned into waterfalls. And yes, it was a treat to the eyes. I was
staying at ‘Club Munnar’ and through my room’s window I was able to witness the
perfect sunrise.
Munnar had a lot of tourist spots, but visiting the tea
garden was my favorite. After that I headed to the Mattupetty dam, which was
extremely scenic and calm place. Boating at the Mattupetty dam is one of the
main attractions here. It also has a little market full of chocolates and
antiques, so probably if you have time you can shop there.
After that I visited
the Rose garden which had a lot of beautiful variety of flora & fauna.
I
was so fascinated to see Gajras there so I bought one for myself and made a
tiara out of it. At night I had a bonfire at my resort and spent the night with
good food, music and a bonfire. The next day I headed for Thekkady.
This place is famous for its wildlife sanctuary, and if you
are an adventure lover then you can go on a jungle safari there. And just
adjacent to Wildlife Sanctuary there is a theatre where you can see classical
dance shows. Thekkady will definitely bring you closer to the nature. And also,
the wildlife sanctuary had a lot of different activities like you can get a pic
clicked with elephant or you can take a bath with elephant which all seemed to
me like torturing of an animal than fun. So I won’t recommend anyone to go for
such activities.
After a hectic day I decided to go for Ayurvedic Massage. And
if you visit Kerala and don’t get this massage, then you will surely miss the
best thing of Kerala. It was two hours of heaven. And for steam they used wooden boxes where
steam was made through pressure cooker.
After this my next stop was Alappuzha (or Alleppey).
This just brings us to the end of part 1 but my journey
didn’t end here. You can read my further journey on Part 2.
You can read the Part 2 here: http://www.thatshesaid.com/2017/04/wandering-tales-kerala-treat-to-eyes_13.html
You can read the Part 2 here: http://www.thatshesaid.com/2017/04/wandering-tales-kerala-treat-to-eyes_13.html





Comments
Post a Comment